Monday, November 11, 2013

Should Teens Be Forced To Read "Classics" In School?

 I know this is a very controversial topic, so just know that these are my opinions!

As a senior in high school, I've read Othello, Romeo and Juliet, Crime and Punishment, and many more classics.  I've listened to my classmates go on so many tangents whenever we're to read these old books for a paper or a project.  I know that classics have set the base for so many of the modern stories we love today (YA!), but I feel like they're not relevant to modern society.  I'm a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice and I adore the movie, but do most teenagers enjoy reading it?  Truthfully, not many do.  And while I think that's a crying shame, there's nothing we can do about it because most teenagers are so used to reading books with Twilight or Hunger Games-esque dialogue and narration.  Many classics are told with narration that sometimes puts even me to sleep.

I know that teachers love to make their students read classics because it helps them to gain insight on all of the different writing styles throughout history.  But is it really beneficial to the students if they don't give a crap about what they're reading?  And what if they don't understand the contextual meanings, the symbolic meanings?  Those are both integral parts of classics, and if they don't understand it, well, here comes a bad test grade.

I - as you all probably know - love, love, love modern YA, so much that I've sworn to always read the genre no matter how old I get.  Dedication, right?  I asked my friends if given the choice between a classic and a modern YA book, which they would pick.
More than 75% picked modern YA.
Now, what does that tell you?  Students should be allowed to read books that have all of the literary double-meanings that classics have.  I don't think classics should be completely taken off the grid, just the ones that are too complex and whose context include nothing more than incessant stream-of-consciousness (I'm talking to you, As The Sun Also Rises!) because, frankly, those types of books put me to sleep faster than a Pre-Cal lecture.

~ What is your opinion on the topic?


8 comments:

  1. Ah! So that is why you asked me what I liked more! I confess that I love Pride & Prejudice too but that is almost the only classic book that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep! I agree, most classics are too... disconnected to society today, in my opinion

      Delete
  2. Sometimes teachers don't have a choice. Meaning they have to follow protocol and give the required reads. However most have the option to give a book outside of the norm. I know my teacher friends all teach Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which means progress :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like students should be required to read at least one classic, but also be able to read appropriate modern works. Like you said, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is an awesome example! :)

      Delete
  3. I love (some) classics and I read them for fun, but I feel like if students are forced to read anything, it usually creates a negative experience. It depends on the book, but the reason that people today still read classics is because they have been recognized as great books. So, I say that we shouldn't have to assign any books to read, but if you do, classics are fair game (but please no Moby Dick)
    TRQ @ We're All Mad Here

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think that students should be able to choose which classic book to read, so that atleast they get something they are more interested in, because i know that there are many classics out there that i wouldn't want to read at all because it sounds so boring, and then there are others that i would love to read, like Pride and Prejudice, and the great gatsby etc..., also i do think that teachers should let their students read classics because there can be students that thought they would hate it and then end up loving it.

    sorry if what i just made no sense, sometimes i ramble on and i don't even understand myself lol

    nenaath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's fine! :) Sometimes I do the same! I agree that students should be able to pick what classic they'll read for school because it'll at least get them somewhat hyped up.

      Delete

Copyright © BohoBookLover ♥ | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs