Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Book 1
Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Author: Michelle Hodkin

Genre: YA/Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

Release Date: September 27, 2011


My Rating:
♥♥♥♥♥

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.


She’s wrong.

Via Goodreads

Lyrical, lovely, and lustrous.
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has to be one of my all-time favorite books, hands down.  It is spell-binding (not in a magical, fairytale way) and it draws you in.  So, when I first read this book, I was a bit confused because of all the odd occurrences that happen to Mara.  I didn't know if she was just imagining it or if it was really happening, but I will not spoil it (no ma'am, no spoilers here)!  I love how the plot line is so multi-dimensional; there is more than one problem going on here, and it's not just a straight-lined plot.

It is really difficult to review this book without giving too much away, so I'll just go over the basics.  Something catastrophic happens to Mara and her family moves to Miami, FL.  There she meets Noah, the gorgeous Brit (of course, there has to be a British guy!) whom she seems to connect with.  (I love Noah.  He is completely and totally swoon-worthy!  Feel free to swoon!)  You guys can probably guess where the story goes from there.  The second book, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, literally left me in tears.  It was that good.  This is one of those things where the first book is like "Holy shiz, that was awesome!" and then the second book is like "*Uncontrollably sobbing* OHMYGOSH NONONO!  THAT WAS SO AMAZING. WHY AM I CRYING?!"

This series is unbelievably amazing and the author definitely knows how to hook a reader and reel 'em in!  The story is a bit similar to Shatter Me  with the whole X-Men/ teenagers with superhuman powers, but it also has some dark elements.

Overall, I would have to give this series a 5/5 because the narration is just wow, the plot-line is complex, yet believable, and the characters have perfect chemistry.

Book 2

P.S.  The third book, The Retribution of Mara Dyer, comes out October 22, 2013!
Also, this series is labeled 14+, but I think it's appropriate for 13 year-olds.

2 comments:

  1. omg, I loved this book too! ...and I just realised I haven't even read the second one. MUST REORDER BOTH AND READ NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you will ADORE the second book! It's fantastic!

      Delete

Copyright © BohoBookLover ♥ | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs